Tuesday 18 February 2014

Finally, my game idea!

On Monday as usual I had a meeting with my current supervisor Lynn. We did discuss the game art I have created and showed in last weeks pitch presentation. And as I already knew she agreed that both of the collaboration games not being very suitable for the purpose of showcasing my work. This is the point where I should be talking about how terrible I am at ideas and how I have no idea what I am going to do next. However, I was feeling really excited because on Sunday night, before our meeting, as I was lying in bed, THE game idea just clicked in my head. All the 'floating' bits came together to make a one cohesive idea. I was absolutely delighted. So I got out of the bed, noted all on a piece of paper and went to sleep all happy. I knew I have nailed it. :)

I have explained to Lynn my game idea. In short its about a character (boy related to Sandman) that travels underwater, land and air collecting and distributing items. This game would be a side-scrolling game therefore it would fit well with my project idea since it is a about painting and computer screen can be that interactive canvas.

The collectable items would be string, jar with a lid, stars and fireflies.


Lynn was really pleased that I have managed to come up with an idea and game play that makes sense and at the moments fits well the idea.

My next steps regarding  the game is now to polish up the mechanics of what is happening when and how, what UI I will need and of course a Game Concept Document and an Asset List document.

So far the ideas for a gameplay are somewhat similar to Limbo (2010)* seen in this video (see below)


hayabusaDGO. 2010. LIMBO - gameplay part 1/7. [online]. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCA79zPaQe0 [Accessed 17 February 2014]

or a Dust: An Elysian Tail (2013)** without the enemy fighting but perhaps with a somewhat similar environment or even UI. (see video below)


deluxe345. 2013. Dust: An Elysian Tail Gameplay (PC HD). [online]. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itEVq6fzKmM [Accessed 17 February 2014]



This week’s plan is to start Game Concept Document draft, Assets List draft, project Moodboard creation and if I have time left create some concept art. Also, I am going to get back to the two AGDS members to see if maybe they would like to help me with my project.

And for a change, I am really feeling excited.


* Playdead. 2010. Limbo. Microsoft Windows. Playdead.
** Humble Hearts. 2013. Dust: An Elysian Tail. Microsoft Windows. Microsoft Studios.

No comments:

Post a Comment